Set in California in the summer of 1969, The Girls is a story about 14 year-old Evie who is disenchanted with her middle-class life, boys, parents, and friends. Desperately seeking connection, she falls under the influence of Suzanne, and is drawn into a Mansonesque-like cult.
Authors:Cline, Emma Title:The girls Publisher:New York : Random House, 2016 Available as an audiobook: yes
- coming of age
- American counter culture
- complexities of female friendships
- was this merely a retelling of the Mason murders or did Cline add anything to the conversation?
- would Evie have helped Suzanne with the murders had she remained in the car?
- why did Suzanne kick her out of the car?
- can anyone get caught up in a bad situation when under the right influence?
- teens and kids previously had a lot more freedom then teens do today – better or worse?
Author web site